Recent Water Damage Posts
Avoid Water Damage To Your Roof
Water Damage to your roof can be a real bummer. But water damage to your roof can also be prevented. Your roof can be extra susceptible to water damage if the roofing materials are aging out. Old roofs are not as effective in keeping water out. An added element to this is debris on the roof of your home. Maintaining the roof you have by replacing missing shingles and keeping debris away, such as leaves and twigs can help keep water from being trapped between the roof and debris, thus enabling water to seep through your roof. Storms and strong winds can bring both missing shingles and debris to your roof, this is why it is important to know the condition of your roof and maintain it before a storm hits and brings you extra problems...
SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa can help your Long Island home or business when these problems happen to occur.
Frozen Pipe, Busted Pipe, Water Damage
The temperatures across Long Island have dropped greatly. This is the time of year where pipes freeze and burst the most. Coming home to water all over your house from a busted pipe is not fun for anyone. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa will be there to help restore your home or business and make it "Like it never even happened."
While you are away for an extended period of time from your home or business, it is extremely important to winterize your home. There are things you can do to prevent a frozen pipe, which leads to a bursting pipe and water damage.
If you are away from your home or business for an extended period of time be sure too...
- Drain and Shut off your water system
- Make sure your thermostat has new batteries and is set no lower than 55 degrees (F).
- Ask someone you trust to check on your house daily to ensure it is warm enough.
Rain, GO AWAY!
With the transition from spring to summer comes a lot of rainstorms. Rain is great for your yard and keeping those beautiful flowers in your garden alive, but the rain belongs outside, not in your home. Many people wake up to a wet basement after a rainstorm. You want to be able to get the cause determined and the situation under control. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa has the properly trained technicians to help repair the issue. We have the expert training you need to help dry out your basement. Certain materials such as wood, leather and paper can start to grow mold in as little as 24 hours. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa wants to help repair the damage but also save your belongings.
Call 24/7! 516-221-3666
Going on a much needed vacation this summer?
We often think about shutting off our water in the winter to avoid frozen/bursting pipes when we are not home, but what about summer? People forget that pipes can break and leak in the summer as well. The last thing you want after returning from a great vacation is a home filled with water. When you go on your much deserved vacation this summer, we have some tips to keep your property safe while you're away.
- Before you leave: Drain water lines
- Open faucet in bathroom after you shut off the valves and drain the water out and flush the toilet.
- Turn air conditioner on. Heat can affect doors and flooring. Having air circulating will prevent them from collecting condensation.
- Unplug electronics
Potential Flood Hazards
If you experience a water loss or a flood in your Long Island home or business, SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa is here to help 24/7. There are a few precautions you should take in the meantime before our SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa team members arrive at your home or business. These precautions will help you identify potential hazards and prevent dangerous situations.
- Check your ceiling. A wet ceiling can be unstable and very dangerous.
- Check for electrical shock hazards. Lights on indicates that your power is on and the area is dangerous.
- Be aware of contaminated water and hidden hazards in the water. Do not go into the standing water if you think it is potentially contaminated or their could be a hidden hazard.
Flood Safety Do's and Don'ts
Water damage is the 2nd most filed insurance claim in the US. Water damage can occur during any time of year whether it is due to a summer hurricane, a burst pipe in the winter or a backed up toilet. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa is here 365 days a year to help you with any water loss or flood. Here are some do's and don'ts to help you during this time.
- Do not use your household vacuum to try and remove water
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet.
- Do not leave wet fabrics up. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Turn air conditioner on for maximum drying during the summer time.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- CALL SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa at 516-221-3666
Water Leak Prevention and Detection
As homeowners it is our resposibilty to help prevent water leaks and water damage to our homes. Although this may not always be possible we can help reduse the risks. Water damage comes from a variety or sources. Some of these sources are Water heaters,sump pumps,frozen pipes,cracked foundations and worn appliances to name a few.
The follwing are some precautions that can be taken to reduse the risk of water damage.
- Check and replace appliance hoses when needed ( Washer, Dishwasher, Ice maker, Ect).
- Insulate pipes on exterior walls to prevent freezing.
- Keep Roof gutters clean and free of debris
- Seal foundation walls to prevent seepage and water intrusion.
- Properly Maintain roof to prevent leaking.
- Install Leak detectors throughout your home.
In the event of and unforeseen problem SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa is always here to help!
Water Damage Services
Severe water damage can be devastating and can happen at any time. When disaster strikes, you need certified professionals that you can trust to provide the best service in the industry. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa provides unmatached water damage restoration services to its customers during the times they need it most.
SERVPRO of Farmingdale/ Massapequa has been providing water damage restoration services to Long Island home and business owners for over 40 years. SERVPRO has IICRC certified and highly trained Technicians that utilize the most state-of-the-art drying and monitoring equipment to restore your home or business. The equipment ensures that our technicians can properly dry out your home or business, preventing secondary damage and getting your property back to normal ASAP!
When disaster strikes and you need water damage repair immediately, call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/ Massapequa to make it "Like it never even happened." Here to help: Call us 24/7 (516) 221-3666
Identify The Three Types of Contaminated Water
SERVER of Farmingdale / Massapequa will inspect the contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response.
Category 1: "Clean Water"
This is water from a clean source, such as a broken clean water supply line or faucet. If left untreated, category 1 water can quickly degrade into category 2 or 3 water depending upon such factors as time, temperature, and contact with contaminants.
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated, can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: "Gray Water"
This water has significant level of contamination that could cause discomfort or illness if ingested. Sources for category 2 water may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- May contain bacteria and viruses
- Can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated
Category 3: "Black Water"
This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
Have any questions? Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa 24/7- 516-221-3666
Farmingdale 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 516-221-3666
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration -- In fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call,we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What cause the water damage (if known)
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa
SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and on going training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regal IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVER of Farmingdale / Massapequa - The Flooded Basement Specialists!
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home's structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your homes's integrity. It's worth making a call to SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa and allowing our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We Are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We're a preferred vendor to many national insurance companies
- We bill the insurance directly-one less thing for you to worry about
- Our technicians are highly-trained in water restoration techniques
- We use s500 IICR restoration standards
- Advanced inspection and extraction equipment
Basement Flooded? Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa Today- We're Ready To Help! 516-221-3666
Faster to your Farmingdale / Massapequa Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don't wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa, provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - including holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call us 24/7 - (516)221-3666
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finished may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods to spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa
SERVER of Farmingdale / Massapequa specializes in cleanup restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Water Damage Prevention
You can’t always prevent harm from coming your way. Sometimes disaster strikes and accidents happen. Some things, however, you can control. Giving these potential problem areas in your house some extra attention will help keep you and your home safe and dry!
1. Your Windows! Regardless of the season, a drafty window can end up costing you a fortune! To check for drafts in your home, use a lit candle against windows. If the flame flickers as you run it along the seams then you may need to reseal your window
2.Your Plants! Plants both in and around your home can be a problem if they are not properly maintained. In an effort to avoid the growth of mold or mildew on your property simply make sure that your garden areas have adequate drainage, and that you are trimming plants around the structure.
3.Your Gutters! As tedious as it may be, keeping your gutters clean is really going to help keep your home safe from costly water or mold damages. Cleaning out and inspecting your gutters regularly as well as keeping downspouts clear of any blockages will help keep the structure draining properly.
If you do find yourself dealing with the troubles of water damage in your home, give SERVPRO of Farmingdale/ Massapequa a call at (516) 221-3666. We’re available 24 hours a day to clean up the damage and restore your property.
Three Steps You Need to Take When You Have a Pipe Break
Three Steps You Need to Take When You Have a Pipe Break
If you are a homeowner, you are likely to know how to prepare your house for a hurricane, tornado, or even hail, but what should you do when you have a supply line break? Water in your home can be incredibly damaging, and if it's your first experience with a supply line break, you might be shocked at just how much flooding and water damage there is to handle. Fortunately, no matter how much experience you have with water in your home, there are three things you can do to handle a flooded home after a supply line break.
1. Stay Calm
if you come home to a flooded home, it's normal to panic. Try not to. Instead, remain calm as you face the problem of water in your home. Water cleanup, mitigation, and drying performed by your home restoration company will ensure your flooded home is returned to its normal state, but panicking won't make this happen faster. Remember that people around the globe have dealt with water in their flooded home. You, too, can handle this.
2. Get to Safety
when you have a supply line break, you might be tempted to try to fix it yourself. Keep in mind that a break is nothing to face on your own. Water in your Farmingdale / Massapequa home can quickly become a hazard, so it's important that you leave the area with water damage as quickly as possible. Water damage isn't simply structural. When you have a pipe break, the area becomes prone to mold growth and insects, as well. A restoration company can handle water cleanup, mitigation, and drying.
3. Call a Professional Restoration Company
Your home may have flood damage after a pipe break, but a restoration company can help with water in your home. Flood damage can manifest itself visibly, but you may also have structural damage that a home restoration company can notify you about after mitigation, water cleanup, drying, and restoration. While the flood damage in your home might seem impossible when it comes to water cleanup and drying, the truth is that your restoration expert has seen this problem before, and he or she is fully equipped to handle this situation.
No homeowner wants to deal with flood damage, but unfortunately, flooding does happen. If you find yourself in a situation where you have river flooding or a pipe breaks, remember that you aren't alone. Your home restoration expert is ready to help you with mitigation to prevent flood damage from happening to you again. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa will work with you to ensure you're safe and that your home is repaired after the damage.
How to Choose a Restoration Professional
the person or company you use to restore your home after serious flooding should have experience handling water cleanup specifically. While most companies are familiar with handling a variety of damage issues, make sure you ask if the company is ready to assist with cleanup after water damage caused by a pipe breaking. When you reach out to the company, you need to provide as much information as possible. Was the flood water in your home caused by a pipe break? Has your area recently experienced high rainfall? Did a nearby dam break? If you aren't sure what caused the water buildup in your home, just let the company know and they will work with you to create a plan that will remove the excess water from your building and help you get back to your normal life. Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa at 516-221-3666.
Farmingdale/Massapequa Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Farmingdale/Massapequa home’s basement flooded due to bust pipe.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Farmingdale/Massapequa basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today 516-221-3666
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 516-221-3666
Top 3 Reasons Your Roof Might Be Leaking
Provide Roof Inspection To Avoid Water Damage To Your Home.
Roofs are often susceptible to water damage that can lead to structure and mold issues if not addressed. There are several ways water can infiltrate building materials surrounding a roof and the top 3 are:
- Age- Roofing material deteriorate with age and becomes less effective at keeping out water.
- Debris- Building of debris such as twigs,leaves or pines needles can trap water against the roof and allow it to seep in by capillary action. Maintenance of roof cleaning is recommended.
- Missing Shingles- Strong winds can rip shingles from the roof.
Most of the issues relating to a roof leak can be avoided by doing routine inspections of the attic/roof area on a regular basis.
If you notice any damages and need professional repairs call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa for help @ 516-221-3666
Preventing Your Pipes From Freezing
Protect your pipes from cold temperatures. Frozen Pipes can result in costly repairs to you as a home or business owner. The good news is there are ways to prevent pipes from freezing. Here are some tips for this winter.Frozen pipes are a problem by themselves because they prevent water flow, but even worse, frozen pipes can eventually burst, causing damage and potential flooding. There are ways to protect your pipes from freezing. These include:
- Keeping your house warm - If you are leaving for a period of time, make sure that the heat is kept on at your property. You should inform them that the heat can help prevent pipes from freezing, and if pipes freeze and burst, it can cause a lot of water damage to the property and to their possessions. The heat doesn’t have to be kept as high as you normally would keep it if you were home but keeping it set above 50 degrees Fahrenheit at all times is a good idea. This should provide enough heat to keep the pipes warm and to prevent any water inside from freezing.
- Opening faucets - When temps hit the freezing level it is a good idea to allow faucets to drip. Allowing the faucet to be open like this will relieve pressure in the pipe. If a pipe freezes, it is actually the pressure that is created between the blockage and the faucet that will cause the pipe to burst. With the faucet open you avoid blockage in the pipes.
- Insulation is key - Pipes can be fitted with foam rubber or fiberglass sleeves to help decrease the chances of freezing. This can be an easy solution for pipes that are exposed but can get expensive if walls, floors or ceilings have to be opened in order to properly insulate the pipe. Additional insulation can also be added to walls and ceilings to keep the pipes warm.
Need Emergency Service? Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa 24/7 - 516-221-3666