Recent Fire Damage Posts
SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa specializes in fire damage restoration. We utilize the same thorough process in five areas of restoration services for every single job, no matter the size. We offer mitigation, structural cleaning, contents cleaning, and specialty restoration and reconstruction for any home or business that has experience fire damage. An important first step when assessing fire damage is to locate all areas that have been left with smoke residue in order to evaluate what cleaning services will be best suited to handle the job. SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa will work tirelessly to ensure that your home or business is restored a fast a possible by providing you with the proper care and expertise that all our customers deserve!
Faster to any disaster, Call us 24/7 (516)221-3666!
We are Available 24/7 for Your Farmingdale / Massapequa Fire Damage needs
SERVPRO of Farmingdale services all over Long Island From Suffolk, Nassau to Queens. Our technicians are specially trained in fire and smoke restoration along with odor control, upholstery and fabric cleaning. Small or large we understand how huge the impact of a fire can be on your Long Island home or business. The negative impact on you and your loved ones isn't diminished by the size of the fire. We will work with you to have your home feeling as good and as comfortable as new.
There are a few steps during the restoration process. Our team will secure the damage. Inspect the damage and assess which restoration techniques and equipment will be best. We will preserve all your valuable items and clean the affected areas. We will help you during this very hard time. Call 516-221-3666 24/7 for all your Fire Damage needs.
Fire Health and Safety
HAZARD: Anything that has the capability to cause harm or pose a threat to life, health, property or the environment.
During a fire disaster everyone's safety is most important. It is important to get everyone out of the building and away from the fire. After a fire is put out it still extremely important to take safety measures until your home or business is restored. When restoring a home or business after a fire, it is critical to identify potential health or safety hazards.
Hazards after a fire may include:
- Electrical hazards
- Respiratory hazards
- structural hazards
- chemical hazards
- slip, trip, fall hazards
It is important to point out ALL hazards that may leave someone hurt or even sick. Anyone preforming services or on site during a fire restoration should wear personal protective equipment (PPE). This equipment should be well cared for and can prevent injury and health risks.
If you need your home or business restored from a fire, Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa at (516) 221-3666
Elements of Cleaning
There are four elements that are required so that fire residues can be removed.
- Temperature-Heat increases the speed of chemical reactions in cleaning products. The correct temperature must be chosen depending on the cleaning solutions and the materials being cleaned.
- Agitation- Dislodges residues from surfaces and distributes cleaning products across surfaces.
- Chemical Action- Professional cleaning products work through several chemical reactions with residues and surfaces. The correct cleaning product must be selected depending on the action desired.
- Time- The amount of time needed for professional cleaning and deodorization products to work varies upon the product and type of residues.
Fire damage presents a great variety of cleaning challenges due to the many ways that heat, oxygen, moisture and gases interact to form smoke residues. Our SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa team responds to a variety of challenges created when smoke residues and odors affect different surfaces and materials. We have many procedures for restoration and we utilize them all before fire-damaged materials are declared "unrestorable."
Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa today! 516-221-3666
It's that time of year again, temperatures are rising, barbecues are grilling and fireworks start popping! Summer is a time for relaxation and fun in the sun. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa wants you and your family to be safe, and have the best summer ever. Here are some tips to help you enjoy your summer to the fullest and avoid summer fire accidents.
- If you are using a grill or fire pit, be sure to wear the right clothing. Make sure you have no loose clothing items that can catch on fire, Make sure your sleeves are rolled up.
- Make sure your fire pit/barbecues are away from bushes, trees or anything flammable. You can't to make sure you have at least 3 feet of clear space around your fire area.
- While setting off fire works make sure to be safe and in a clear open space.
- Never let children set off fireworks.
- Never re-light a fire work.
Have fun this summer and be safe! If an Accident does occur, call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa 516-221-3666
Summer Grilling Safety
Although SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa are fire restoration specialists, we do not want to show up to your summer barbecue. Fires from gas grills, charcoal grills, barbecues and fire pits are on the increase as we approach the summer season. Aside from damage to your property, these fire losses can attribute to burns and hospital visits for you or your family. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa wants to assure you know the steps to take to enjoy your summer, protect your home and prevent injuries.
We are here to help you and make the loss "Like it never even happened," but the main goal is to prevent the fire in the first place.
Before you grill, know that you should always be grilling OUTSIDE. There should be no overhangs, even check for low hanging branches from trees. Check the gas tank hose for leaks or holes. Clean all racks and trays. Make sure your grill is on a level surface, and away from guests, pets and playing children. Make sure children know to keep away from the grill. Avoid wearing loose hanging clothing while grilling. Wear mitts to prevent burns. Keep baking soda handy for grease fires. Have a fire extinguisher, hose or bucket of sand handy to put out spark triggered fires.
If disaster does strike. Be sure to call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa at 516-221-3666
Fire Damage Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa is a company with expertise in fire damage restoration. We use the same thorough process for every single job, no matter the size. As cleanup pros, we offer 5 areas of restoration services for fire damage. Mitigation, structural cleaning, contents cleaning, and specialty restoration and reconstruction. When a fire loss occurs in your Long Island home or business, the first step is locating all smoke residues by inspecting and testing to evaluate what cleaning services are needed for restoration. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa will work with you to get your Long Island home or business back up and running as fast as possible. We want to provide you with the proper care and expertise that you deserve.
Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa at 516-221-3666
Fires are extremely unexpected and happen fast. 7 people die everyday from a house fire, mostly impacting children and the elderly. It is extremely important to know the risks of a fire in your home or business. If a fire starts in your home or business you may have as little as two minutes to escape. Be sure to make a fire escape plan with your family and employees and practice it regularly. Early detection from a working smoke detector and a pre-thought out escape plan can save you, your family and your employees lives. During a fire situation your safety as well as your loved ones, is the number one priority.
If a fire tragically occurs to your Long Island home or business, be sure to call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa at (516) 221-3666. We will be there to help you during these unprecedented times.
Cleaning methods vary depending on the type of smoke damage.
Typically where there's smoke there's fire, however not all smoke damage is the same. Depending on the type of smoke, different cleaning methods and products may be used.
There are typicaly 3 main types of smoke. The type of smoke is determined by the material that's being burned.
- Natural:This type of smoke is caused by burning natural products such as wood and paper. These materials produce a dry powdery soot. This residue easier to clean than other residues and repsonds well to vacuuming and dry wiping provided it is not set in.
- Synthetic: These appear when oil based materials are burned such as plastic. These material produce a black thick smoke with a thick smeary residue. These are far more difficult to clean and often need a more agressive cleaning method.
- Protein: This residue is caused by the burning of meats or food items. These items leave behind a yellow sticky residue that is very difficult to clean and often requires a detergent or degreaser to clean.
The experts at SERVPRO Of Farmingdale/Massapequa are highly trained in determining what type of smoke damage they are dealing with and what the best cleaning methods are.
Fire Damage Services
Fire-Related disaster can wreak havoc on your home or business. When these incidents occur you need the most certified professionals to make repairs and get things back to normal. At SERVPRO of Farmingdale/ Massapequa, we will treat your property like it is our own and will ensure that the building is restored to its original state.
The SERVPRO process for fire damage restoration will provide the best repairs for the best price on the Island. We assess the damage to determine what cleaning procedures will be necessary to fully clean the area.
When the unheard of happens, SERVPRO is here to help every time. We will help guide you through this time and restore your property. Our professionals have been helping Long Islanders with fire damage restoration for the last 40 years. Faster to any size disaster! Call our team 24/7. (516) 221-3666
Can Your Fire Damaged Belongings Be Saved
Fires can be scary and emotionally tough on a home or business owner. While a reputable emergency restoration company and your insurance company handles a majority of the paper work and details, property owners face a much tougher task. Adjusting to damage and the potential loss of belongings can be both heart breaking and emotional. There is always a light at the end of the tunnel! Depending on the fire, location, and the affected material, there is a chance of salvaging many items damaged by a fire.
Knowing the details of what caused the fire and how certain items burn can determine there ability to be restored. Every fire behaves and burns differently, potentially causing different damage. The behavior often depends on the fuel, the weather, oxygen and the environment that its burning in.
Other than completely scorching or burning materials, fire creates soot and odor. Again, depending on the material, soot and odor can seep into fabric, cracks, crevices, and porous surfaces. The material and extent of damage will determine the potential for cleaning and the cleaning process to be used.
A professional fire restoration company like SERVPRO of Famingdale/Massapequa has had many years of experience in fire damage. We can help you determine what items can be cleaned and salvaged. We can also help you inventory your non salvageable items for your insurance claim.
What is Soot?
Soot will adhere to walls and any other surface that is cooler than the heart of the fire.
Smoke is the result of incomplete combustion, which produces tiny particles of approximately 2.5 microns in size of carbon in the air. When deposited, these particles are identified as soot. Soot particles may contain chemicals or metals making it hazardous because they are small enough to enter your lungs. To put into perspective, any particles that are 10 microns or larger gets trapped in the upper respiratory track. Particles that are 5 microns or smaller can penetrate the lungs.
Soot will Adhere to walls and any other surface that is cooler than the heart of the fire. If a wall is free from soot, which can help to indicate the area where the fire started and making the hottest area.
Different Types of Smoke:
There are two different types of smoke-wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pre testing. here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke - Plastic and Rubber
Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke - Paper and Wood
Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue- Produced by evaporation of material rather than from the fire virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect, and your property with care.
Have Questions call us at 516-221-3666
What To Do After a Fire
Here at SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa we run into a few different types of emergency situations. Whether it be fire damages, water damages, mold cleanups, or document restoration the list goes on and on. Below we see ways to kick start your home/business fire damage rebuild process.
Contact your insurance company;
The first step in the process is to contact your insurance company within 24 hours of the incident. Some insurance companies may be able to recommend a professional fire restoration company you can call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa @ 516-221-3666 any time or night.
The Restoration company determines damage;
Once the restoration company arrives there are multiple different services they provide. First they will provide services to prevent further damage occurring to your home. They do this by putting up containment areas- so smoke and soot do not travel around and affect more of the home- and they begin placing boards down to walk on so the floors don't incur more damage from the company working. Next they determine which of your personal belongings are able to be refurbished and which are not. After, they start to determine which structural items do and do not need to be replaced. All of these items are then built into an estimate which includes the cost of the deodorizing process, the repairing of your home, and the cost for cleaning any of your items. To make it easy as possible the restoration company sends their estimated directly to the insurance company, leaving no extra work for you, the customer!
Things to remember after a fire:
-After the fire do not use ANY electrical appliances that were in or around the fire.
-Do not wash drapes or other materials that may require dry cleaning.
-The more you move around in the affected area the more soot will move around and affect parts of your home. Be sure to have a restoration company in right away to let you know what is, and what is not safe.
If a problem occurs, anytime, be sure to call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa for all your restoration needs @ 516-221-3666
What to do When Your Commercial Business Has a Fire?
Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa for Fast, Friendly Fire Remediation Service
The Word "Fire" strikes fear in the hearts of most people and for a good reason. Whether it's your home or business it can bring life, as you know it, to a screeching halt.
If your business or commercial property caught on fire. don't panic. Instead, call the professionals of SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa and let us start cleaning up immediately. Acting right now is the key to limiting damages and expediting the restoration process, and choosing a team of industry specialists is the secret to attaining the sophisticated services you deserve. All of our IICRC- certified technicians will work with diligence and determination to get your commercial property back in pristine condition, so call us now at (516)221-3666.
Knowing which steps to take in the face of a commercial fire can help prevent you from becoming anxious, losing money, and undergoing extensive property damages. To handle fire damage successfully and speedily, implement the following four tips:
1.Call The Insurance Company Immediately.
Be sure to that you call your insurance company once fire is out. This step is important because your insurance agent will work with you to file a claim and determine how much coverage you'll again for the commercial damages.
2.Contact A Fire Remediation Expert.
In addition to fire, smoke, and soot damage, your business may also suffer from water damage as a result of the firefighting efforts.
SERVER of Farmingdale / Massapequa specializes in fire and water damage restoration. We have specific damage restoration training, personnel and equipment and can quickly restore your business to pre-fire condition. Don't ever attempt to handle any of the cleanups, drying, or restoration processes on your own. Doing so could put you in peril of injury and illness.
3.Assemble Your Records.
In Addition to contacting a fire remediation expert, make sure that you assemble your business's essential records. You'll want to have this information with you when you start working with your insurance company. To guarantee that you can have your entire files ready in a safe place, make a point to buy a fireproof safe where they can be stored.
4.Get Permission To Reenter The Building.
Always ask the fire department or another local authority whether you can reenter your building. In some cases, a fire can weaken the structural integrity of the commercial property and make it subject to collapse. This is why you need to assure that reentry is safe for you and your employees.
Fire Damage Cleanup and Repair... Hire a Professional
SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa are your one stop shop for cleanup and repair of your fire damages caused to your home or business. We are available 24/7 and answer your call when you need us most.
Fast and efficient fire damage cleanup can make your worst catastrophe a thing of the past. No one expects or plans for a fire, but once it occurs it feels like a nightmare. Not only do the flames tear through anything they can touch, but the damage caused by the smoke, ash, and soot cause major damage as well. This is all before the fire department arrives and douses your home with water as well. Smoke, ash, soot, and water...all specialties of SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa.
Professional fire damage repair will work quickly to get your home back up and running. The main reason you call a professional to clean up after this type of mess is because ash is acidic and will destroy materials if it sits for too long by deteriorating them. The smoke damage as well will cause an irritating smell and could be potentially harmful. The average scope for a fire damage includes;
-Setting up containment areas to avoid further damage from soot spreading around the home.
-Bag up and clear out fire damaged materials.
-Begin cleaning/wiping down all floors, walls, carpets, ceilings, countertops, etc. Anywhere the smoke could reach will need to be cleaned and that's what we're here for.
-Lastly, we need to clean out the home's HVAC system because the smoke will cause a harsh and irritating odor if not correctly cleaned.
After cleaning all ash, soot, and smoke damage the home will be free of any odors that will be irritating or harmful. Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa for all your fire damage cleanup needs @ 516-221-3666
Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa to Help You Destroy Odors
Even a small fire can cause odors for years to come if the affected areas are not properly cleaned and deodorized. Fire, smoke, and soot damage in your home or business can create unpleasant and potentially permanent problems. As various materials burn, the smoke produced travels throughout the structure, leaving odorous residues and deposits on surfaces and in hard-to-reach places. Unless fast, professional action is taken, these residues and deposits can cause permanent damage to contents and may result in resurfacing odors. With technicians certified by the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration (IIRC), SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa Franchise Professionals provide specialized services that can rid your home or business of offensive odors left by fire or smoke damage. SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa Franchise Professionals will not cover up lingering odors with a fragrance; they seek out and remove the sources of the odor.
Other Odors that may require DEODORIZATION:
- Cigarette Smoke
- Pet Odors
Whether it's fire, water, or mold damage, or just a stubborn odor that refuses to go away, we'll help make it "Like it never even happened."
If you or a customer suffer fire damage or some other accident and require deodorization services, contact SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa Franchise Professionals @ 516-221-3666.
Overview of Smoke and Fire Alarm.
SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa wants to make sure you know the keys to detection when it comes to fire. Take a look at these Fire detection tips and make your home a safer place for you and your family to live.
- SMOKE ALARMS : Replace every 10 years.
- BATTERIES : Test monthly, replace yearly
- Two-thirds of all fire deaths occur in home with no or non-functioning smoke alarms.
- Have at least one smoke alarm on every floor, outside each sleeping area, and in every bedroom.
- Be sure that you create a fire evacuation plan in your home and ensure that all members of your family are familiar with it. This means practicing it too!
SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa cares about you and your family. Fire detection is key in saving lives!
How To Check For Your Home Smoke Alarms
Test Your Home Smoke Alarms
Smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms give you early warning so you can get outside quickly.
Check for your home smoke alarms:
- Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. Install alarms in the basement.
- Smoke alarms should be interconnected. When one sounds, they all sound.
- Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
- It is best to use interconnected smoke alarms. When one smoke alarm sounds they all sound.
- Test all smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to be sure the alarm is working.
- Today’s smoke alarms will be more technologically advanced to respond to a multitude of fire conditions, yet mitigate false alarms.
- A smoke alarm should be on the ceiling or high on a wall. Keep smoke alarms away from the kitchen to reduce false alarms. They should be at least 10 feet (3 meters) from the stove.
- People who are hard-of-hearing or deaf can use special alarms. These alarms have strobe lights and bed shakers.
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old.
- Smoke alarms are an important part of a home fire escape plan.
Electrical Fire 101
Your appliances are pulling too much electricity on one circuit, causing an electrical overload.
While there are many causes for fires in the home, electrical fires are a particularly difficult type to grapple with. To ensure that electrical fires do not become a big issue in your home, the SERVPRO of Farmingdale/Massapequa experts advise implementing the following safety strategies:
• Inspect your property for faulty wiring, shorts, and loose wires that could increase susceptibility to electrical fire. When you note any issues, call a certified electrician to fix them. Also be sure to make use of safety covers on any outlet that a child has access to.
• Make sure that a smoke detector is installed on each level of your home. Also be sure that the smoke detectors are functioning properly.
• Turn off any electrical equipment that produces an unusual spark, smell, or sound.
• Replace or repair frayed, cracked, or loose cords. Do not place your cords in high traffic regions of the home. Also refrain from placing them under rugs or carpets.
• Make use of surge protectors to keep your appliances safe.
• Keep flammables stored far from your electrical appliances.
• Have an ark fault circuit interrupter (AFCI) installed in the house. These devices monitor circuits to assess any dangerous arcing conditions.
• Do not allow children to climb any trees located near a power line.
Ask the following questions to ensure that your smoke alarms are functioning effectively:
• Did you test them?
• Are they working properly?
• Are there enough alarms in the home?
Switches and Outlets
Ask the following questions to ensure that your switches and outlets are functioning effectively:
• Do the plugs fit correctly?
• Are they warm to the touch?
• Do they work properly?
• Do they make any unusual sounds? (sizzling, buzzing, or crackling)
Lamps and Appliances
• Are you using the right bulbs?
• Do you use space heaters safely?
• Are appliance cords protected from damage?
Have Questions about any Fire prevention? Contact us @ 516-221-3666
Pet Fire Escape Plan
This poor fur baby got out of the home in the nick of time.
Fires involving structures occur every day, including homes with pets inside. Do you know how to react when faced with a home fire? Did you know that pets tend to panic and hide when faced with a house fire? The following tips are to help you save your pets when faced with a house fire:
- Notify rescuers that you have a pet in your home. You can purchase a sticker to place by your front door that details how many pets you have and what they are. This way, even if you are not there the pets have a chance of getting out.
- Design a fire escape plan: It is important to know where your pets usually are. What are their favorite places? Where do they tend to hide when scared? In an emergency like a fire, there will not be time to waste looking everywhere for your pets. You must have a concrete search plan with at least 3 locations where your pets can be found. This entails creating a layout of your home and marking your pets’ “go-to” locations. You should also survey your home to identify potential pet hiding spots and indicate them on your layout.
- Be prepared: Keep all equipment you would need while escaping a fire close together. Keep dog leashes and cat carriers in the same place and make sure they are easy to get to. Don’t bury carriers in the attic or the back of a closet. In a fire, there won’t be any time to hunt for them. Fires are life and death situations – rapid response is critical!
- Practice makes perfect: Once you have laid out your plan, you will need to practice it using different scenarios. For example, practice what to do if the fire is in the kitchen; then if the fire is in a bedroom, and so on. You should go as far as to practice your escape with your pets from a second story using a ladder. (If you don’t have an escape ladder you should get one, as well as the appropriate equipment needed to assist you carrying an animal down a ladder.) Practice finding your pets. Start outside, rush into the house, find your pet, and take them outside. Repeating this drill can help animals become familiar with process. You may even be able to train dogs to go to a certain area outside when the smoke detector rings. Continue practicing until you are comfortable with your fire escape plan and it works efficiently.
Since fires are traumatic and life changing experiences, prevent further disaster by creating a Fire Escape Plan for your home. Practice it frequently and continue to test yourself.
Call SERVPRO of Farmingdale / Massapequa at 516-221-3666 after the fire is out and we will make it "Like it never even happened."
Emergency Fire Damage Guidelines/Tips
Emergency Fire Damage Guidelines
- A SERVPRO Franchise Professional will contact you within one hour.
- A SERVPRO Franchise Professional will arrive at your home within four hours.
- The SERVPRO Franchise Professional will address your concerns and assess the situation:
- Identify the source of loss and safety issues
- What type of residue exists
- Pretesting for restoration will be conducted to determine:
- What is restorable and what method of restoration will be most effective?
- What items need special adjuster attention?
- The SERVPRO Franchise Profession will clean and deodorize soiled items:
- Walls, ceilings and flooring
- Upholstery and other contents
- The SERVPRO Franchise Professional will conduct a final walk through with you to ensure your satisfaction Emergency Damage Tips
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces.
- Watch for safety issues and be careful.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- This stops food odors from developing inside your appliances.
- Limit any movement in the affected area.
- This prevents smearing of the soot particles
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water.
- Do not use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water.
- They may have been contaminated.
- Do not turn on ceiling fan or electronics, including the television or personal computer.